Dr. Sharat Damodar is the Chief of Haematology and Transplant Services at Mazumdar Shaw Medical Centre, Narayana Health City, Bangalore. He is also the Chairman of Oncology Services and Clinical Director of the hospital. He has an immense experience in treating patients with leukaemia, lymphomas and stem cell transplantation. He completed his MBBS from St. John's Medical College, Bangalore and has an MD in Internal Medicine. He underwent training in Haematology and Stem Cell Transplantation in Christian Medical College, Vellore and has multiple papers in peer reviewed journals. Time and again, he has been invited by multiple institutes nationally and internationally for delivering lectures and sharing his experiences. He established the BMT unit in 2004 and is a celebrated Oncologist who has performed more than 1200 Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplant and also won Chairman's Award for Best Doctor in 2015.He is a member of multiple committees that devise the guidelines in the hospital.
- DNB (General Medicine): National Board of Examination, New Delhi
- DM (Haematology): Christian Medical College, Vellore
- MD: St Johns Medical College, Bangalore
- MBBS: St Johns Medical College, Bangalore
Fields of Expertise
- Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplantation
- Cord Blood Transplantation
- Cord Blood Transplantation
Key Procedures Performed
- Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplantation
- Cord Blood Transplantation
Rare/ Unique Skills
More than 1000 Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplants performed
Posts Held in the past
- Clinical Director – Mazumdar Shaw Medical Center, Narayana Health City
- Senior Consultant Haematologist and HOD, Dept of Haematology and Head Bone marrow Transplant Unit
- Chairman of Oncology Collegium, Narayana Health Network.
- Ex-Chairman of the Hospital Transfusion committee
- Member of the Hospital Infection control committee
- Member of the Hospital Drug Formulary committee
- In charge of the DNB program in Clinical Haematology -4 seats/year
- In charge of the post-graduate fellowship program in comprehensive hematology, oncology and stem cell transplant
- Resident medical officer, St Ignatius Hospital, Honavar from 1993-1995 as part of rural service
- PG Registrar Dept of General medicine, St. John's Medical College Hospital, Bangalore 1995-1999
- Registrar, Dept of Haematology, Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore 1999-2001
- PG Registrar, Dept of Haematology, Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore 2001-2004
- Senior Consultant Haematologist and Head, Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Narayana Hrudayalaya Multispeciality Hospital and Mazumdar Shaw Cancer Center, Bangalore, April 2004 onwards, (which has conducted the largest number of allogeneic bone marrow transplants in Karnataka).
- Clinical Director, Mazumdar Shaw Medical center – May 2015 onwards
Awards & Recognition
- Chairman's Award for Best Doctor – 2015 (Narayana Health City)
- Visitor training program (VTP) Awardee for 2015-16 from the American Society of Haematology.
Professional Memberships and Certifications
- Life member of Indian Society of Haematology and Blood Transfusion (ISHBT)
- General Secretary - Karnataka Chapter of ISHBT
- Member of Asia Pacific Blood and Marrow Transplantation(APBMT) group.
- Member of the American of Blood and Marrow Transplant (ASBMT)
- Steering Committee member of the Indian Stem cell transplant registry(ISCTR)
- International Member of the American Society of Haematology (ASH)
- •Apte S, Navarro-Puerto J, Damodar S, Ramanan V, John J, Kato G, Ross C, Shah C, Torres M, Fu C', Rucker K, Pinciaro P, Barrera G, Aragonés ME, Ayguasanosa J. Safety and efficacy of intravenous immunoglobulin (Flebogamma® 10% DIF) in patients with immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Immunotherapy. 2019 Feb;11(2):81-89. doi: 10.2217/imt-2018-0165. Epub 2018 Nov 30.
- Ashok V, Ranganathan R, Chander S, Damodar S, Bhat S, S NK, A SK, Jadav SS, Rajashekaraiah M, T S S. Comparison of Diagnostic Yield of a FISH Panel Against Conventional Cytogenetic Studies for Hematological Malignancies: A South Indian Referral Laboratory Analysis Of 201 Cases. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2017 Dec 29;18(12):3457-3464.
- Kumar K, Badiger S, Damodar S, Bhat S. Haploidentical Stem cell transplantation with TCR alpha/Beta and CD19 depletion in a case of Unstable Hemoglobin disease. Transplantation. 2018 Feb;102(2):e45-e46. doi: 10.1097/TP.0000000000001986.
- Damodar S, Shanley R, MacMillan M, Ustun C, Weisdorf D. Donor-to-Recipient ABO Mismatch Does Not Impact Outcomes of Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation Regardless of Graft Source. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2017 May;23(5):795-804. doi: 10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.02.009. Epub 2017 Feb 14.
- Kovaleva L, Apte S, Damodar S, Ramanan V, Loriya S, Navarro-Puerto J, Khojasteh A; investigators of the Flebogamma DIF in ITP Study Group. Safety and efficacy of a 10% intravenous immunoglobulin preparation in patients with immune thrombocytopenic purpura: results of two international, multicenter studies. Immunotherapy. 2016. Dec;8(12):1371-1381
- Damodar S. Immunosuppressive Therapy for Aplastic Anaemia. J Assoc Physicians India. 2015 Mar; 63(3 Suppl):16-20.
- Biju George, Manoranjan Mahapatra, Pravas Mishra, Shashikant Apte, Sharat Damodar et al. Improved Outcomes with Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation for Aplastic Anaemia Using HLA Identical Sibling Donors: The Indian Stem Cell Transplant Registry (ISCTR) Experience. Blood 2015 126:4386; published ahead of print December 4, 2015
- Fouzia NA, Revathi Raj, Dharma Choudhary, Sharat Damodar, Shashikant Apte. The outcome of Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation for Thalassemia Major in India. Blood 2015 126:3219; published ahead of print December 4, 2015
- Agarwal MB, Jijina F, Shah S, Malhotra P, Damodar S, Ross C. Safety and Efficacy of Indigenous Equine Antithymocyte Globulin Along with Cyclosporine in Subjects with Acquired Aplastic Anemia. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus. 2015 Jun;31(2):174-9.
- Sharat Damodar, KS Nataraj, SR Niveditha, Rajeev Purnaiya, Madan Kumar, Ashwin Nagaraj, and Prahlad Ram. Higher Than Reported Response Rates to Decitabine Observed in Indian AML Patients - Is There a Genomic Basis. Blood Volume 124(21):5312-5312 December 6, 2014.
- Maiers M, Halagan M, Joshi S, Ballal HS, Jagannathan L, Damodar S, Srinivasan P, Narayan S, Khattry N, Malhotra P, Minz RW, Shah SA, Rajagopal R, Cereb N, Yang SY, Parekh S, Mammen J, Daniels D, Weisdorf D. HLA match likelihoods for Indian patients seeking unrelated donor transplantation grafts: a population-based study. Lancet Haematol. 2014 Nov;1(2):e57-63. doi: 10.1016/S2352-3026(14)70021-3.
- Damodar S, Bhat P, Balasubramaniam S. Symptomatic Acquired Haemophilia Due to Circulating Antibodies Against Both Factor VIII and IX in a Non-haemophilia Patient. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus. 2014 Sep;30(Suppl 1):90-2.
- Damodar S, Bhat P, Kumar P, Tr R, Gupta R. Successful aortic valve replacement surgery in a patient with severe haemophilia a with low titre inhibitor. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus. 2014 Sep;30(Suppl 1):64-6.
- Martin Maiers, Michael Halagan, Sangeeta Joshi, H Sudarshan Ballal, Latha Jagannathan, Sharat Damodar et al,. HLA match likelihoods for Indian patients seeking unrelated donor transplantation grafts: a population-based study. The lancet.com/haematology Published online October 21, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S2352-3026(14)70021
- S. Bhat 1,*, S. Badiger 1, N. K.S 2, S. Damodar 2 ALLOGENEIC STEM TRANSPLANTATION IN PATIENTS WITH CLASS 2 AND CLASS 3 THALASSEMIA MAJOR: A SINGLE-CENTER EXPERIENCE FROM SOUTH INDIA. 40th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation, Milan, Italy.
- Martin Maiers*,1, Michael Halagan*,2Nicole Leahy*,2, Sangeeta Joshi*,3, H Sudarshan Ballal*,3, Latha Jagannathan*,4, Sharat Damodar*,5, et al. HLA Haplotype Frequency Analysis Within India: Prerequisite For Bone Marrow Donor Registry and Cord Blood Bank Planning. Blood November 15, 2013 vol. 122 no. 21 5607
- Damodar S, Raghunath ST, Murthy S, Jayanthi KJ, S Latha BR. Low Hemoglobin Density as a Measure of Iron Status. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus. 2013 Jun;29(2):75-6. doi: 10.1007/s12288-012-0162-y. Epub 2012 May 26.
- Damodar S, Prashantha B, Ganguli A, Gopalakrishnan G, Jayanthi KJ.Granulocytic Sarcoma of Colon in a Patient with Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus. 2013 Sep;29(3):152-4. doi: 10.1007/s12288-012-0152-0. Epub 2012 Apr 25.
- Nagendra GT, M N R, Hegde DP, Damodar S, Gupta R. Transfusion associated graft versus host disease in an immunocompetent individual following coronary artery bypass grafting. Indian J Crit Care Med. 2008 Jul;12(3):124-7.
- Damodar S, Ganesh KV, Murthy S. Mean platelet volume does not predict the risk of myocardial infarction or coronary artery disease in Indian patients. Platelets. 2008 Feb;19(1):80-1
- Damodar S. Allogeneic stem cell transplant in a patient with aplastic anaemia with bacteremia and candidemia. Turk J Haematol. 2008 Dec 5;25(4):209-210
- Damodar S. First-cousin BMT in thalassemia with thymogam conditioning. Indian Pediatr. 2006 Oct;43(10):922.
- Damodar S, John CN, Gopalakrishnan G, Nair S, Samuel R, Thomas M, Shetty DP. Mast cell disease: surgical and anaesthetic implications. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2006 Jul;28(7):446-9.
- Damodar S, Murthy S. Allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in aplastic anaemia. Indian Pediatr. 2006 Jan;43(1):82-3.
- Damodar S, H T, Ak S, L F, S M, R S, G S, S A. Autologous Immune Enhancement Therapy (AIET) for a Case of Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) - Our Experience. J Stem Cells Regen Med. 2006 Dec 26;1(1):40-1. eCollection 2006. No abstract available.
- Damodar S. Stem cells in hemato-oncology. J Stem Cells Regen Med. 2006 Dec 26;1(1):25-30. eCollection 2006.
- Damodar S, Viswabandya A, George B, Mathews V, Chandy M, Srivastava A. Dapsone for chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in children and adults--a report on 90 patients. Eur J Haematol. 2005 Oct;75(4):328-31.
- Damodar S, George B, Mammen J, Mathews V, Srivastava A, Chandy M. Pre-transplant reduction of isohemagglutinin titres by donor group plasma infusion does not reduce the incidence of pure red cell aplasia in major ABO-mismatched transplants. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2005 Aug;36(3):233-5.
- Damodar S, Thomas M, Shetty D. Eosinophilia and valvular heart disease. Indian J Med Sci. 2005 Apr;59(4):162-3.
- Srishyla MV, Rani MA, Damodar S, Venkataraman BV, Jairam N. A preliminary audit of practice--antibacterial prophylaxis in general surgery in an Indian hospital setting. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 1994 Jul;38(3):207-10.
- BMT / Stem Cell Transplant
- ITP and Immunotherapy
English, Hindi, Kannada, Tamil, Telugu