Current placement: Senior Consultant-In Charge, Adult Cardiac ITU, Narayana Institute of Cardiac Sciences, Bengaluru since 2018.
Previous appointment: Consultant Cardiac Anaesthetist and Intensivist @ Freeman Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK for over a decade.
Fully accredited to the British Society of Echocardiography since 2005 for trans esophageal echocardiography.
Area of interest: Extra corporeal and mechanical support, Thoracic organ transplantation and adult cardiac intensive care.
- MBBS, MD; DNB; DA (Anesthesiology)
Post held in past
- Consultant, Cardiac Anesthetist and Intensivist, Freeman Hospital, Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK, NE7 7DN.
Fields of Experience
- Intensive Care
- Mechanical Assist devices.
Awards & Recognition
- Fully TOE Accredited by the British Society of Echocardiography
Professional Memberships & Certifications
- Karnataka Medical Council
- General Medical Council, UK
- British Society of Echocardiography
- A prospective study on the incidence of awareness during cardiopulmonary bypass. Journal of Anesthesiology and Clinical Pharmacology 2003, 19: 3: 295-300. O.P.Sanjay; K. Kilpadi.
- General anesthesia for lobectomy in an 8-year-old child with Kartageners syndrome for lobectomy. Pediatric Anaesthesia 2003, 13: 714-717. H. Sahajananda; O.P.Sanjay; Johny Thomas; etal.
- Role of pump prime in the etiology and pathogenesis of cardiopulmonary bypass associated acidosis. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry 2002, 17: 1: 42-44. O.P.Sanjay; K.Kilpadi.
- Use of arginine vasopressin in the management of vasodilatory shock after CABG. - A clinical trial. Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia 2003, 6: 132-35. O.P.Sanjay; K.Kilpadi; P.Prashanth; etal.
- Attempting to maintain normoglycemia during cardiopulmonary bypass with insulin may initiate postoperative hypoglycemia. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry 2003, 18: 2: 119-126. O.P.Sanjay; P.Prashanth; D.I.Tauro.
- Antegrade versus antegrade with retrograde delivery of cardioplegic solution in myocardial revascularisation. A clinical study in patients with triple vessel coronary artery disease who underwent CABG. Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia 2003, 6: 143-148. O.P.Sanjay; S.V.Srikrishna; P.Prashanth; etal.
- Intraoperative anaphylaxis caused by a pulmonary hydatid cyst. Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2003, 19: 128-9. O.P.Sanjay; D.I.Tauro; K.Kilpadi; etal.
- Pulmonary hypertensive crisis following ventricular septal defect closure in a 12-year-old child. Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia 2004, 7,1: 59-61. O.P.Sanjay; P.Prashanth.
- Thoracic epidural infusions for post thoracotomy pain relief: A clinical study to compare the efficacy of fentanyl - bupivicaine mixtures versus fentanyl alone. Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2003, 19: 113-118. O.P.Sanjay; V.R.Kadam; J. Menezes; etal.
- Intra-articular administration of morphine, bupivicaine and morphine with bupivicaine for post-operative analgesia following video knee arthroscopy. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia 2003, 47: 4: 265-8. Vasanth Rao; O.P.Sanjay; Issac Thomas; etal.
- Preoperative serum potassium levels and perioperative outcomes in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry 2004, 19: 40-4. O.P.Sanjay.
- Clinical outcomes in patients with non-dialysis dependent renal insufficiency undergoing CABG. Accepted for publication in the Journal of Anaesthesiology and Clinical Pharmacology. O.P.Sanjay; D.I.Tauro; P.Prashanth; etal.
- Intercostal nerve blockade versus thoracic epidural analgesia for post thoracotomy pain relief. Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2003, 19: 141-44. O.P.Sanjay; P.Prashanth; D.I.Tauro.
- Midazolam – An effective antiemetic after cardiac surgery. A clinical trial. Anesthesia Analgesia2004, 99: 339-43. O.P.Sanjay; D.I.Tauro.
- Use of a pulse-oximeter to study the effects of varying durations of pre-oxygenation. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia 2004, 48: 3: 201-203. O.P.Sanjay; M.A. Raipet.
- Propofol or Sevoflurane anaesthesia without muscle relaxants for thymectomy in myasthenia gravis. Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2004, 20: 83-87. O.P.Sanjay; P.Prashanth; P.Karpagam; etal.
- Intraocular pressure changes during cardiopulmonary bypass. Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2005, 21: 157-160. O.P.Sanjay; P.Prashanth; D.I.Tauro; etal.
- Arterial blood gas management during cardiopulmonary bypass. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry. 2005, 20: 98-102. O.P.Sanjay; A. Devanath; B.C. Thejas.
- A complication of trans-septal puncture during VT ablation: clinical application of transoesophageal echocardiography in interventional procedures. British Medical Journal Case reports 2012. doi:10.1136/bcr01.2012.5700. Elena Assimakopoulou, O.P. Sanjay, Stephan Murray, Stephan Schueler.
- Management of a case of hyperkalemic periodic paralysis requiring coronary artery bypass grafting. Annals of cardiac anaesthesia 2012; 15: 302-4. O.P. Sanjay, Mathew Garner, Hazel Powell.
- Management issues during Heartware left ventricular assist device implantation and role of TEE. Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia 2013; 16: 259-67. O.P.Sanjay, Anthony George, Henning Pauli, Denis O Leary, Chandrika Roysam, Tanveer Butt, Stefan Schueler, Mahesh Prabhu, Guy Mc Gowan. (Review article).
- Right sided Aortic arch with Kommerell’s Aneurysm. Annals of cardiac anaesthesia 2014; 17: 311-3. O.P.Sanjay, Rajendra Kumar Singh, Henning Pauli.
- An unexpected causes of hypoxemia after left pneumonectomy. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Anaesthesia. Elena Assimakopoulou, O.P. Sanjay.
- Sutureless aortic valve replacemnt in a high risk octagenarian. Journal of Heart Health. 4(1):dx.doi.org/10.16966/2379-769X.144, 2018. Harnal MY, Hittalamani S, O.P. Sanjay, Pillay T.
- Covid convalescence – A boon or bane in cardiac surgery?... A second HIT hypothesis. J. of Vasc and cardiac anaesthesia. DOI: 10.1053/j.jvca.2020.10.021. Srinath Damodaran, Shreedhar Joshi, Sunil Kumar, Pooja Natrajan, Sanjay OP, Thiruthani Kumaran.
- Veno-arterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation: special reference for use in ‘post-cardiotomy cardiogenic shock’ – A review with an indian perspective. (review article) Indian J. of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2020; https://doi.org/10.007/s12055-020-01051-7. Sanjay Orathi Patangi, Riyan Sukumar Shetty, Balasubramanian Shanmugasundaram, Srikanth Kasturi, Shivangi Raheja.
- The Intensive care unit in the “Covid-19 Era”. Editorial. Journal of Cardiac Critical Care 2020; 4:75-78. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0040-1718649. ISSN 2457-0206. Sanjay Orathi Patangi and Muralidhar Kanchi.
Book Chapters Written
- Management of Bronchopleural fistulas. Dr. O.P.Sanjay, Dr. Sameena Ahmed. Core topics in thoracic anaesthesia. Cambridge University Press 2009.
- TEE in Intensive Care. Dr.O.P.Sanjay. Problem oriented Echocardiography. 2013.
Key Procedures Performed
- Percutaneous Tracheostomies
- Venous access
- ECMO initiations
Rare/ Unique Skills
- Transesophageal Echocardiography
- Ventilatory management
- renal replacement therapy
- Ventricular assist devices
English, Hindi, Kannada, Telugu